10.26.2006

Billy

So I have an incredible friend. We were roomates once. He is one of the most passionate, loving, charitable people I know. Course you don't want to get on his bad side. You better watch out for the passion then. But he has the ability to really love people. Charity. We were talking the other night, after a long hiatus, and he said something that really hit me.

"We judge our relationships on their utility."

Just think about it for a minute. I think this is often true. I know that some of you are like Billy, but I'm not one of those. I think most of my relationships are based on their utility. They are based on what I can get out of them. If I meet someone and they don't particularly interest me or they annoy me, I just ignore that relationship. If on the other hand I meet someone and they make me laugh or think, I keep them around. How selfish. I have a long way to go to understand true charity.

2 comments:

Tang Tang said...

Frankly, I see a lot of charity in you and a better understanding of love and friendship than you give yourself credit for. And heck, if you're just using ME for my charming repartee and bags and bags of disposable cash, then...well,I guess that's okay, too. I use you for your car.

Linda said...

I now understand why we were not friends for so long! Good thing you realized how valuable I can be.